Friday, April 10, 2020

Last Pot Roast of Year?

Earlier this week I made what I imagine will be our last pot roast of the year. When the weather is warmer, we move to the grill! This was a small chuck roast, slightly under two pounds, as I had used part of it earlier in a beef stew (my favorite in Julia 1, which doesn't require browning!). Here are the ingredients:

2 pounds chuck roast
olive oil for browning meat
2 carrots, sliced or julienned
1 chopped onion
thyme, salt and pepper
1 Tb tomato paste
1 cup red wine
Beef broth as needed
4 ounces sautéed mushrooms

I marinated the meat in the red wine for several hours, turning once, and then dried it and browned it in the pan I planned to cook it in. I then briefly cooked the onion in the pan (possibly added a bit more olive oil?) and then poured the wine marinade into the pan, scraping up the browned bits. I put the meat back in and added enough broth to come nearly to the top of the meat, the tomato paste, and about 1 tsp. of thyme, plus salt and ground pepper. After about 2 1/2  hours of cooking I added the carrots and a bit more broth and wine. I had already sautéed mushrooms, so I added those after three hours and continued cooking several more minutes to warm them up. It would be nice to add parsley at the end for color, or green peas, but I didn't this time.

Now I plan to take the leftover pot roast and turn it into Beef and Barley soup. First, I will soak about an ounce of dried porcini mushrooms in very hot water. Then I will sauté another onion, along with a couple of carrots, two celery stalks, and one chopped potato and add the pot roast (cut into small pieces) and its remaining gravy and vegetables. I will probably add about 2 cups of beef broth and 2 cups of water (including the mushroom soaking water, strained through a paper towel), 1/2 cup of pearled barley and the chopped (rinsed and drained!) dried mushrooms. I will probably also add about 1 Tb of tomato paste, mostly for color. The soup needs to cook for about 30 minutes, until the barley is tender. I like to serve it with a spoonful of sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment