Saturday, January 21, 2012

Short Ribs with Red Wine


Last Christmas, I got the Good Meat cookbook, which has proved to be a great addition to my cookbook library. Last night we had short ribs, which were based on one of the recipes in the book. Instead of making a pasta sauce, as in the original recipe, I left the short ribs whole and served them with mashed potatoes. The recipe is like many others I do; it starts with sauteed chopped onion, carrot, leeks, celery, and garlic. The meat is browned, the pan deglazed, nad red wine, stock, and tomato (diced, pureed, or paste) added, along with bay leaf and thyme. This time I also added two cinnamon sticks, as the recipe instructed, and the slight cinnamon taste was a welcome addition. This is winter food at its best!

No comments:

Post a Comment