Sunday, March 29, 2020

Leftovers for dinner

For three nights last week, we had leftovers for dinner. One night was just a quart of split pea soup I had frozen a couple of weeks ago. Nothing to do but heat and serve! Another night I took some leftover pasta sauce (also frozen), a tomato meat sauce with sausage and a bit of ground beef. It also had a small amount of onion, carrot and celery, along with mushrooms, a kind of bolognese. I browned another crumbled sausage with about a half cup of chopped fennel and then added the pasta sauce, a half cup of fire-roasted diced tomatoes, and about 2-3 tablespoons of tomato paste. I keep a tube in my refrigerator--handy! Also a bit of water. It was pretty good!

I finally used up the pork tenderloin from earlier in the week, maybe 3-4 ounces, in a Asian-style stir fry. I chopped up the pork and marinated it in a mix of garlic, ginger, soy sauce, sherry and sherry wine vinegar. I then sautéed some chopped vegetables--2-3 mini peppers, 6-7 white mushrooms, a carrot, a scallion, and a wedge of purple cabbage, plus some more garlic and ginger and some red pepper flakes. When the vegetable were tender, I put in the pork and its marinade and then added some more soy sauce, and about 2 teaspoons of cornstarch dissolved in more sherry. Served with brown rice, it wasn't bad. But after all the leftovers, Tim go a steak last night!

No comments:

Post a Comment